Challenge into Change is a forum for real-life stories about women overcoming personal struggles to find growth and healing. We invite you to submit a piece of writing of 500 words or less about a woman (yourself or someone you know) surmounting a difficult situation in her life. Both prose and poetry are welcome. Winners will receive cash awards; all entrants will have the chance to be published in our Challenge into Change book and will be honored at a ceremony at the 2018 Festival of the Book in Charlottesville.
Submission deadline is December 15, 2017.
1. Authors must live in central Virginia to be eligible.
2. Each author may submit only one entry, no more than 500 words. Women may write about their own challenge into change. Anyone may write about a woman they want to honor for her challenge into change.
3. Our focus is on celebrating each woman’s story. Perfect grammar and spelling are not required.
4. Writings must be the entrant’s own original work, and the subject must be true.
5. Obscene, sexist, racist, inciting or salacious language will not be eligible.
6. All contestants who submit their writing for publication will receive a free book and can purchase more.
Entries can be in English, Spanish, and other languages.
Previous entrants are eligible to submit. Previous winners are not eligible to win again but are still welcome to submit and be published in our book.
SUBMIT YOUR WORK
Interested in lending your voice to this community effort? We’re so glad! You can submit your piece of writing (500 words or less), a brief bio (80 words or less), and the Entry Form in the following ways:
1. Fill out our Online Entry Form
2. Fax to... (434) 872-0049
3. Mail to...
The Women’s Initiative
ATTN: Challenge into Change
1101 E High Street, Suite A
Charlottesville, VA 22902
4. Drop off at either of our office locations:
1101 East High Street, Suite A
Jefferson School City Center
233 4th Street NW, Suite W (2nd Floor)
Once we receive your entry, we’ll confirm receipt by phone or email. If you don’t hear from us two weeks after submitting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (434) 872-0047.
One entry per person, please.