Legal Assistance Programs in Charlottesville
- The International Rescue Committee - Low-cost, BIA accredited immigration legal services to all legal permanent residents, including citizenship, adjustment of status, family reunification, and other immigration services
- Legal Aid Justice Center - free legal services on non-criminal matters to income eligible persons
- Sin Barreras - Low Cost Legal Consultations, Tuesday and Thursday 5:30pm to 7:30pm.
- Literacy Volunteers of Charlottesville/Albemarle offers free citizenship classes
- In Richmond, The Bridge CDC offers free citizenship classes. Contact them at email@example.com or at (804) 506-0863 for current class schedules.
On November 20, 2014, President Obama announced executive actions that will impact many local Latino residents. For a summary of the new Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) and the expanded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), see resources by the National Immigration Law Center and the Legal Aid Justice Center. The program has not yet started - see NILC's Top Ten Ways to Prepare for what potentially eligible Latinos can do now to get ready. Service providers should advise their Latino immigrant clients to only take advice from a qualified immigration lawyer or an accredited representative - be wary of fradulent advice and rumors!
Refugee/Parole Program Updates
The U.S. Department of State has announced a special refugee/parole program for minors in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras with parents who are lawfully present in the United States. For more information about this program visit the State Department’s web site or click on this link. Parents who are in the U.S. in one of the eligible status categories will be able to file to have their minor children join them through the U.S Refugee Admissions Program. The children will arrive with refugee status and have access to all of the same services and benefits as other refugees. For more information on this program, contact Nada Aladhami, Immigration Specialist at the International Rescue Comittee, at Nada.Aladhami@rescue.org or at 434-979-7772 ext. 110.