Medical Assistance for Children
- There are two programs available for qualifying children in Virginia, depending on family income: FAMIS and FAMIS Plus (Medicaid for children). Children who are US citizens or qualified legal immigrants are eligible regardless of the parent's legal status.
- Bue Ridge Care Connection for Children at the University of Virginia Health System: Children under the age of 21 with a physical disorder that is expected to last longer than 12 month may be eligible for free case management. Examples of qualifying conditions include (but are not limited to): diabetes, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, deafness or hard of hearing.
- The Jefferson Area Child Health Improvement Program (CHIP) works with families with children under seven and with pregnant women, assessing their needs and strengths and responding with services that promote health and well being. They have bilingual staff.
Medical Assistance for Pregnant Women
- Women who are pregnant and are US citizens or qualified legal immigrants may apply for FAMIS MOMS or Medicaid for Pregnant Women.
- Spanish-speaking women can visit La Clinica at UVA for prenatal care and routine gynecological care.
Medical Assistance for Adults
- Adults who are US citizens or qualified legal immigrants may apply for Medicaid or Plan First, Virginia's family planning program.
Affordable Care Act
- US citizens and qualified legal immigrants who are not eligible for Medicaid and who meet certain income requirements may be eligible for tax credits through https://www.healthcare.gov/. Undocumented immigrants are not able to purchase health insurance through the marketplace, even at full cost. For assistance determining eligibilty and the application process, contact the Legal Aid Justice Center.
- Frequently asked questions about Immigrants, Taxes, and the Affordable Care Act.
*Note: immigrants who are eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or the Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) are excluded from most affordable health insurance options, including the Federal Marketplace. Contact the Legal Aid Justice Center if you have questions.
- WIC helps women, infants, and children to be healthy by giving them healthy foods at
no cost (milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, fruits and veggies, baby formula, and more).
WIC also provides nutrition counseling and education, breastfeeding support and
breast pumps, and referrals to other programs. Children up to age 5, and women who
are pregnant, breastfeeding, or just had a baby qualify for WIC. Find out if you
meet the income guidelines, and make your appointment today! Appointments available
in Spanish. No papers needed. Call (434) 972-6200, option 4, or visit
The Community Dental Center offers preventive and restorative dental services, including x-rays and cleanings. Medicaid/FAMIS typically covers all costs at the Center. Costs for children who do not have Medicaid/FAMIS are pay-as-you-go.
Region Ten Community Services Board provides a range of services, including mental health, intellectual disability and substance use services. They have multiple programs for children and famililes, including Strengthening Families, which provides support to families with children ages 3 to 11.
Shelter for Help in Emergency works to support and empower victims of domestic violence through a combination of residential, community-based and outreach services. They have an Advocate for the Spanish-speaking community.
The mission of the Sexual Assault Resource Agency (SARA) is to eliminate sexual violence and its impact by providing education, advocacy and support to men, women and children.
Click here for the CJ Mental Health Work Group page.
Directory of Mental Health Services for Spanish Speaking Consumers
- The Women's Initative provides counseling services to uninsured or underinsured women. They have several Spanish-speaking staff members.
- The Charlottesville Free Clinic provides Adult Psychiatric Services for non-urgent mental health needs and individual therapy. They use an interpreter for Spanish-speaking clients.