CJ Mental Health Work Group
Click here to view our next meeting date
The mission of the CJ Mental Health Work Group is to promote the availability, coordination and quality of mental health services for the Spanish-speaking community in our region. The group supports education, outreach and advocacy initiatives to ensure access by members of the Hispanic community to mental health services. The group's objectives are:
- Identify gaps in services and advocate for the development of needed mental heath programs for Hispanics.
- Support efforts to improve the competency of mental health practitioners.
- Provide networking opportunities and support for mental health professionals working with the Hispanic community.
- Collaborate with other CJ sub-committees to address issues of common concern.
- Forge partnerships with other community entities to address issues of mutual concern, e.g. expanding services, training students, etc.
The Mental Health Work Group provides space for service providers to meet and share resources. They have sponsored community workshops on:
Mental Health Services for Latinos
Family Reunification- Child Refugees from Central America
Effects of Domestic Violence in the Latino Population
The Work Group created a focus group to discuss barriers to access to mental health services at Region 10 for the Latino population in Charlottesville. They provided a report and met with Region 10 staff. As a result, Region 10 opened a Spanish phone line with a bilingual intake staff in May 2013.
Dela Alexander: Social Issues in Medicine Course Administrator, UVA School of Medicine
Laura Brown: Migrant Education/Families In Crisis Specialist and English as a Second Language Family Engagement Liaison, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Mayra Cardenas: Program Coordinator, Creciendo Juntos
Neta Davis: Child and Family Services Director, Region Ten Community Services Board
Leigh Freilich: Mental Health Therapist, The Women's Initiative
Carol Hernandez: Prevention and Resource Coordinator, Albemarle High School
Jean Perry-Hayes: Community Based Counselor, National Counseling Group
Jane Lewis: Senior Director, Quality Improvement, Region Ten Community Services Board
Ingrid Ramos: Bienestar Coordinator & Therapist, The Women’s Initiave
Gloria Rockhold: Community Engagement Manager, Albemarle County Public Schools
Patty Roseberry: Advocate for the Spanish-speaking Community, Shelter for Help in Emergency
If you are interested in learning more or joining the Work Group, please contact the CJ Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.